Gfycat (pronounced “jiffy-cat”) was founded in order to upgrade the GIF viewing experience to the 21st century. We all know GIFs are awesome (duh!) because they play everywhere, they are simple to view, they contain concise content, and they loop over and over and over again. Even with all that awesomeness, GIFs still suck. This is how we improve the GIF viewing experience.
|Interaction||Numerous options||No controls|
|File Formats||Multiple||GIF only|
Gfycat is GIF hosting with three unique advantages:
- Speed – averaging 10x faster speeds that traditional GIF
- Unlimited size – large GIFs or videos are no problem for us
- Nifty features – analyze frame by frame by pausing, reversing, slowing down or speeding up
A few other great perks about our platform are our:
- Links. Every link we generate includes a GIF file. Even if delivered by video, the GIF is always there. We pick the best format your browser can view, but as a user you can choose to view GIF only, or hotlink directly to the GIF.
- Global CDN provides fast delivery anywhere in the world
- Scalable server system designed to handle content that might go viral. Multiple layers of load balancing and caching with no single point of failure. No simple servers here.
- RES integration! If you use Reddit Enhancement Suite, you can play Gfycat without even leaving reddit. Just click the Play button by the link.
Gfy stands for “GIF Format Yoker”. Its purpose is to bridge the gap between GIF and HTML5 video by providing both – allowing users much faster delivery and more playback options. Cat has three stories:
- Why not?
catis a plain and simple Unix program designed to dump the contents of files. Gfycat is designed to dump the contents of GIFs, plainly and simply. (Also, we might want a UUOC award)
- Cats made the Internet, or the Internet is made of cats.
Combine the two and you have us, Gfycat!
Most randomly generated URLs look like this: G1XeD4SwlHReDA. We thought it would be fun to do it differently. Our URLs follow the nomenclature: AdjectiveAdjectiveAnimal This is enough to give us a namespace of billions, while also letting humans write them easier. You’re welcome!